Barnet Chess Club on-line Christmas Quiz!
Click here for the answers page
Before commencing the quiz, here is BCC on-line's chess christmas cracker joke was -
A group of chess enthusiasts had checked into a hotel, and were standing in the lobby
discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of
the office and asked them to disperse. "But why?" they asked, as they moved off.
Click for answer.
Some of the answers you may find lurking on this website, some you may not! Apologies
in advance: A lot of the questions are UK biased except the General Knowledge ones.
British web sites
British chess players
Barnet chess club
Answers to this challenging quiz will be published on February 1st 1998 in the trivia
section of this web site.
Email your answers to the webmaster and
the top three scorers/ highest scorers in individual sections will be awarded various
surprise prizes and acknowledgements, eg your favourite game might be web-published.
Disclaimer: The author acknowledges that the following answers may be inaccurate/
wrong. Please email proposed corrections/ insertions to the author.
World Champions, challengers and championships
- Who said this in a really funny interview a few years ago and about whom:
"He does not overestimate, he does not underestimate... he is.... a fish!" (Click here for a real audio version of this question!)
- How many chess world champions have there been and can you list them?
- Which world champion popularised chess in the USA in the mid 70's and later went into
- Which world champions did not have to defeat his current world champion?
- Which two players were noticeable by their absence in the 1997 FIDE world championship?
- Who were Fischer's first two victims to lose 6-0 on the run up to his world title
- Who managed to stop Fischer's game winning run.
- How many moves is the longest game played between Karpov and Kasparov in world champ.
- Which FIDE organiser was not on best terms with Kasparov?
- What was the score at the point the challenge match was terminated between Karpov and
- Which player has got the best overall score against Kasparov?
- Which world champion liked his drink so much, that many people claim he lost a world
championship match because of it.?
- Which world champion was born in Cuba?
- Which player in chess history, invented an opening system which can give rise to doubled
- Which variation in the Dutch Defence may have to change its name to the St Petersburg
- What opening was originally named after the river Volga?
- What opening variation is named after a mythical creature because its pawn structure
resembles that creature?
- What variation has been named after a certain part of an animal's anatomy?
- What variation of the sicillian takes its name from a certain war formation because of
its pawn formation?
- What opening is named after a certain nationality which typifies the kinds of cramped
positions which are tolerated in order to get longer term gains?
- What variation of the Kings Indian defence takes its name from a master who managed to
get the world record for the number of games lost on time in a serious tournament?
- What opening variation has a name which reflects an unusual knight manoever which
resembles the action of an eagle?
Quotes from famous players / people
- Who said "Chess is like a beautiful mistress"
- Who said "Chess is a fighting game which is purely intellectual and excludes
- Who said "Chess is not for timid souls"
- Who said "Chess is Life"
Other general knowledge
- What three standard chess notations are there?
- Which grandmaster wrote a book which advocated the idea of thinking like a computer as a
way of analysing better?
British Grandmaster / top player related questions
- If you want your son to be a British grandmaster, what two statistically good first
names would you name him?
- If you want your daughter to be a British Woman grandmaster, what three statistically
good first names would you name her?
- How many British grandmasters are currently (1997) in the world top hundred?
- Which two British grandmasters had to play each other recently in the FIDE world
- Roughly how many UK grandmasters are there: (choose a-d from the following) A
under 10, B 10-20, C 20-30, or D 30-40
- Who was the first ever British grandmaster?
- Which British grandmaster was a very young entry into Oxford University?
- Which British grandmaster was once part of a rock band?
- Which British grandmaster has recently married a Croatian? (Hint: LaLaLa)
- Which British IM innovated with an interesting first move?
- What was the top British player who lived from 1841-1924?
- What was the top British player who lived from 1854-1930?
- What was the top British player who lived from 1905-1966? (Hint: He defeated Capablanca
at Hastings 1930-1931)
- What two, now famous British players hit the news in 1986 for gaining norms?
Computer Chess Questions
- What are the two main standard search techniques that computer programs uses to play
- Which technique out of the two above, is quicker yet does not actually compromise the
strength of moves played by computers?
Grandmasters and masters - involvement, bets, losses
- Which American Grandmaster was on the deep blue team this year (1997)?
- Which British IM made a bet that he would not lose to a computer within 10 years?
- Who in 1977 became the first grandmaster to lose to a computer?
- Which computer did Kasparov lose to in a blitz tournament in 1994? (The program also
defeated Anand, Short, Gelfand and Kramnik!)
- Which Grandmaster used the ending database in KAISSA to win an adjourned game in a
tournament in Vilnius in 1975?
- In 1988 which computer did British GM Tony Miles share first place with in the US Open
- In 1988 which grandmaster became the fist GM to lose to a computer in a major tournament
- the American open?
- What was significant about this year (1997) for computer chess?
Landmarks in the development of computer chess
- Who in 1947 specified the first chess program for chess?
- Which computer in 1985 achieved a performance rating of 2530?
- What happened for the first time in 1984 in a computer-chess tournament held in Canada?
- Who wrote the first full fledged chess playing program in 1957?
- When was the ICCA formed?
- What was the name given to the first every computer automation ?
- What was the name of the first chess program to play in a tournament and who was it
- What was the first all-computer championship held in New York won by?
- What was the first microcomputer chess playing machine called?
- What computer was confiscated by the US state department as it was heading to the soviet
union to play in a chess tournament? And why?
- What is not the best move to play with the black pieces against a strong computer in the
Internet Chess questions
Commands and Variables
- What command can be useful in finding out the identity of someone ?
- What command could be used to screen out match challenges from other players?
- What convenient device could you use, to hear people from a particular country (eg
Canada, Australia, Britain) or particular chess interest group (eg chess lectures,
computer chess,etc) ?
- Which variable could you set to handle different scenarios. Eg, sometimes you are at
work and only play blitz while the boss is out. But when you're at home you play standard
with people within 200 points of your rating. Also, you sometimes like to play wild and
standard with people outside of your rating range?
- What command could be useful for speeding up what you want to do? (eg instead of typing
"tell This personhasalongname", you could reduce it to a single letter if you
- How could you quickly find out the best players on the ICC?
- What computer on the ICC has surpassed the rating of 3100? (hint: they eats rabbits)
- Which player has achieved the highest blitz rating on the ICC so far (as of Dec 97) ?
- Which player has achieved the highest bullet rating on the ICC so far (as of Dec 97) ?
- Which ICC broadcast match in 1997 had over 1800 observers?
- What is the record for the most players logged onto the ICC in 1997?
- Which player handle has brought the ICC the most hits, nearly 8 times more hits in fact
than the week in chess? Bonus point: Which pop group might have had some influence?
- What has caused in the past, the most amount of abusive language on Internet chess?
Bonus point: What new resource has helped reduce this problem considerably?
- Which Internet chess server will start having a London technical support line from
January 1st 1998 ?
- Which personality which has name of a certain character on Star-Trek gives regular chess
lectures on the ICC?
British Web sites related questions
- What web site could you could find archived tournament games played in British
tournaments since 1945?
- Which British club web site, has excellent teaching materials and is the teaching
pioneer of British chess club websites?
- Which team captain and web site marketing director recently left a Polish IM somewhere
where he shouldn't be? (clue: ChessMoves seemed to find this funny)
- Which British web site started clickable maps?
- Which British web site is strongly against the use of gimmicks and the use of proprietry
browsers? Click here for a useless gimmick if you are
lucky enough to be using Internet Explorer 4.0.
- Which British IM has recently sponsored TWIC?
- Which web site would you find information on chess players that didn't quite make it to
world champion status?
- Which chess club hosts the British Internet Chess Server?
- Which internationally popular web site, could you find weekly news updates?
British chess player-specific questions
- Who are the current joint British champions?
- Which British player wrote a hit computer game called "The theme park", that
was at the top of the charts for six months and sold than more 3.5 million copies ? Hint:
He also did quite well in this years (1997) Mind Sports Olympiad.
- Which British player has become an IM relatively quickly and only a few years ago, was a
relatively unknown player. Hint: he also did well in this years (1997) Mind Sports
- Which British player was recently called something non-complementary by an overly
enthusiastic team captain in the European club championship?
- Name an ex-British champion that is an IM and who makes chess contributions to an Irish
- Which British players achieved GM titles this year?
- What famous UK tournament is played in January and sometimes involves feeling the
implications of adverse climatic conditions?
- What is the most active independent chess league in the UK?
- Who are the two people in the following photograph?
Barnet chess club and web site specific related questions
- Who are the current league champions of the Hertfordshire chess league?
- Which player from Barnet chess club was recently on TV in respect of ICL recruiting
people for the year 2000 problem? (If you thought other questions were unfair, this is a
really unfair question!)
- Who is currently the highest rated player in Barnet chess club?
- Who was made an honary life member of Barnet chess club?
- Where is Barnet chess club located?
- When is the Barnet chess congress?
- Which Barnet player managed to beat American IM Danny Kopec recently?
- Which Barnet player managed to beat an ex-world title challenger at the Lloyds Bank
masters tournament a few years ago?
- How many members of the Barnet Herts I team are ex-British champions?
- Who is that British model in the "Why Chess" section of this site ? (Hint:
Have you used the guest book to give your feedback)
- Who is that mysterious man in the "Why Chess" section of this site ?
"Because," he said, "I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open
This page belongs to: